Top Considerations When Choosing an E-Signature SolutionTax Professionals' Resource
August 16, 2013 — 1,481 views
In the age where everything is super fast and where saving time is the priority for everyone, running behind people for their signature can get tiresome. Even the so called ‘quick way’ to do it requires you to print the document, sign it yourself first, fax it or mail it to the required people, wait for them to get it printed, signed and then faxed back to you. That surely is a time consuming process.
What is E-Signature?
Thankfully there is a quick fix to this in the form of electronic signatures. Popularly called as E-Signature, this concept has made it easy to get your important documents authorized and authenticated quickly. It is used for validating the identity of the person sending the message or the authenticity of the person who has signed the document. Apart from that, it also allows you to ensure that the original document has not been tampered. E-signatures are easily transferable and cannot be duplicated by others. They can also be time-stamped automatically. Also e-signatures ensure that the originally signed document or message of the sender does not get easily repudiated later.
E-signature can be utilized for any sort of message, be it encrypted or unencrypted. A digital certificate usually contains e-signature of the authority entitled to issue the certificate. This way anyone can confirm the validity of the certificate.
Top Considerations When Choosing an E-Signature Solution
There are some points that you need to consider when opting for an e-signature solution. These solutions can help you with smoother implementation and management as they influence many aspects of your business.
- It is important to seal the document properly. Only those e-signatures which use Public Key Infrastructure Technology can actually seal documents. Other types are easily forgeable.
- Most of the e-signatures only support Word and PDF applications. This may be fine for some organizations but it is better to have an e-signature that works well even on AutoCAD, Excel and web applications.
- Graphical signature support should also be considered when choosing an e-signature solution. It makes the signature more noticeable and also has a psychological impact.
- If you need many signatures on your documents, you should go for a solution that allows multiple signatures.
- It is better to review the regulations of your industry before opting for an e-signature solution. This way you will be able to choose a solution that covers all the requirements of your industry.
- See to it that external users can easily validate your document without installing an application form any other source.
- The implementation of your e-signature should be simple. Your staff members should be easily able to start the process of signing documents. Don’t let them go through the ‘wizard’ for enrolling into the system or having to call the IT department for figuring out the system.
- Lastly, consider the total cost of the e-signature solution you are opting for. You definitely don’t want to end up paying more than your budget. Take into account different costs that you will incur like deployment, initial product cost, help desk, and so on.